The Parabus is a specialized, curb-to-curb public transit service for persons with physical disabilities. Eligibility
If you can not walk the distance of 175 meters and are unable to board a regular transit bus by climbing the three steps. Someone who is confined to a wheelchair or receive hemo-dialysis treatments is also eligible to ride the Parabus.
Just fill in an application form with the help of your doctor and send it to us. Your application will be reviewed and if approved, a letter and brochure will be sent to you.
Applications forms are available online or at the Sault Ste. Marie Transit Office located at 111 Huron Street (across from the Ontario Travel Information Centre). Upon request we will mail an application form to you. Call 705-942-1404. Please allow approximately five to ten days for us to process your application.Hours of Service
Once your application has been approved, you can book the Parabus for service during the following hours:
Monday to Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 12 a.m.
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 12 a.m.
Sundays: 8 a.m. – 11 p.m.
The Parabus operates on the following statutory holidays: Easter Sunday, Canada Day, August Civic Holiday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day.
To book a ride on the Parabus call 705-942-1404, Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Please be ready to tell us:
- Your name and the address at which you wish to be picked up
- The date and time you wish to travel
- The address you are travelling to
- What time you wish to be picked up to return home
- If someone is accompanying you
If you are going to use the Parabus on a regular basis such as to and from work/college or for medical appointments, you may book your trips up to a week in advance or request subscription service.
All other trips are booked the day before. Bookings for Saturday, Sunday and Monday must be called in before 4 p.m. on Friday.
Parabus service is curb-to-curb, which means the Parabus will pick you up at the street curb closest to your home. If you require assistance to and from the curb, you must make your own arrangements.
- Be ready ten (10) minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
- Have the exact cash fare ready. One-way fares only will be accepted.
- Notify our office at least one (1) hour prior to your scheduled pick up time if you have to cancel your ride. Otherwise, you may be charged a no-show penalty of a one-way fare.
- Limit your parcels to what you and/or your attendant can carry.
- Wear your seat belt at all times.
- Be considerate of fellow passengers.
- Smoking is not permitted.
The fare is $2.50 (starting February 1, 2012) per one-way trip for all registered riders and their attendants.
Exact cash only. Forty ride passes are available for $70.
If you have to cancel a ride, call us as soon as you know. Cancellations require a minimum of one hour notice, otherwise a no-show penalty of a one-way fare may be charged. Frequent no shows may result in a minimum two-week suspension from riding Parabus. Cancellations can be made after 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday and on weekends by phoning 705-942-1404.
We'd like to hear from you ........
If you have any comments or suggestions on the Parabus service please call (705) 942-1404 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sault Ste. Marie Transit
111 Huron Street
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5P9